The M.E.C.A. Wedge
The MECA Wedge is made from a very unique blend of special polymers that produce a high density yet soft textured device. It is not compressible like foam or other materials. These polymers produce “buoyancy” in that it pushes back when weighted. This creates penetration (pressure) into the spine. This pressure is, and always should be, completely comfortable when placed properly. Combined with the proper movement for the individual user, it activates the core without any penalty to the spine like traditional abdominal exercises performed supine (on your back) or hanging leg raises. Initially designed as a medical tool for patients suffering from lower back pain, however, once introduced as a fitness tool, the MECA Wedge proved to do so much more than just alleviate lower back pain. It creates unparalleled stability in the spine (inner core unit).
In Addition, The MECA Wedge:
- Improves the overall health of the lower back by enhancing the natural curvature of the spine, unloading the over stretched and unstable supportive ligaments and activating the spinal stabilizer muscles deep in the lower back.
- For those with asymptomatic backs (those who do not suffer from back pain) The Wedge is utilized as a preventative tool to unload the stresses placed on the back from sitting and other daily activities. When used as an abdominal conditional tool it is unparalleled in its ability to strengthen the abdominal wall and core efficiently and effectively while negating the penalty that is placed on the back from traditional supine and leg hanging abdominal exercises.
- Increases the stability of the spine, which is imperative to having and maintaining good back health. No more back “episodes” (i.e. what was once known as slipped disc).
- Enhances spinal proprioception, which is key to increasing body awareness.
- Assists in hydrating the disks of the spine. A lack of circulation of disk fluids leads to degenerative disk disease (a form of arthritis).
- Maximizes appropriate anterior pelvic tilt and extension of the lower back. At the same time, the trapezoidal shape creates longitudinal traction of the spinal column. Traction of the spinal column is beneficial in reducing pressure on discs, joints and supportive muscles. Traditional traction creates more inappropriate straightening of the lower back.
- Improves posture by correcting pelvis position. Many people even report a slight increase in height.